Contact: Sasha Galbreath, Sasha.Galbreath@mail.house.gov
Congressman David Trone, Interior Secretary Haaland to Visit National Parks, and Host Roundtable Focused on Climate Change and Environmental Justice
On Monday, November 29, 2021, Congressman David Trone and U.S. Department of Interior Secretary Deb Haaland will visit Maryland’s Sixth District to tour the C&O Canal National Historical Park.
The visit will highlight infrastructure and the Build Back Better agenda, especially as it relates to climate change and equity. The visit will close with a roundtable discussion with environmental justice groups focused on how climate change adversely affects underserved communities.
This visit comes on the heels of the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law’s passage, and the U.S. House’s passage of the Build Back Better Act last week.
This is the Secretary’s first visit to Maryland’s Sixth District with Congressman Trone.
If you are interested in attending one or more events, please RSVP to Sasha Galbreath at Sasha.Galbreath@mail.house.gov to get specific information (e.g., location) about the event(s).
LOGISTICAL INFORMATION: Monday Nov 29
Details are subject to change
9:00am – 10:15am – Visit to C&O Canal
(10:00AM-10:15AM PRESS AVAIL)
Where: C&O Canal
What: Park Superintendent Tina Cappetta will take Sec. Haaland and Rep. Trone on a tour of the Cushwa Basin and the recently-restored Conococheague Aqueduct.
12:45pm – 2:15pm – Climate Change and Environmental Justice Roundtable
(1:45PM-2:15PM PRESS AVAIL)
Where: Rockville, Maryland
What: Rep. Trone will host Sec. Haaland for a roundtable with Maryland environmental groups focused on climate change and its impact on underserved communities.
Roundtable participants include:
- Ramon Palencia-Calvo, Deputy Executive Director, Maryland League of Conservation Voters
- Jennifer Driban,Vice President and Chief Mission Officer, National Aquarium
- Curtis Bennett,Director of Equity and Community Engagement, National Aquarium
- Tianna Bogart,Associate Professor, Frostburg State University Climate Science Studies
- Josh Tulkin, State Director, Maryland Sierra Club
- Dana Johnson, Senior Director of Strategy and Federal Policy, We ACT for Environmental Justice
- Keisha Sedlacek,Federal Legislative and Policy Attorney, Chesapeake Bay Foundation
- Keith Colston, Director, Ethnic Commissions, Governor’s Office of Community Initiatives
- Lisa Tissley,Communications Specialist, Maryland Department of the Environment (On behalf of the MDE Commission on Environmental Justice and Sustainable Communities)
The post Congressman David Trone, Interior Secretary Haaland to Visit National Parks, and Host Roundtable Focused on Climate Change and Environmental Justice appeared first on Maryland League of Conservation Voters.